Baldock is known as a historic market town, it was founded by ‘The Knights Templar and still holds some of it’s history today, some of these include
THE KNIGHTS TEMPLAR SECONDARY SCHOOL
Named after the chivalrous med-evil order of the ‘knights templar’ the school opened in 1939, which was also the day after the start of the Second World War.
The schools original name was ‘Baldock Secondary Modern School’, named by it’s head Master Frank Hancock. Eventually the school was renamed , changing it to ‘The Knights Templar Secondary School’ by Vivian Crellin, who was it’s current head mistress and was also the scholar of Baldock’s med-evil history.
THE BONDER BUILDING
The Bonder Building was built after a house was burnt down on the land in 1916. The building was re built and became a film studio called cosmos. It became ‘The Kayser Bonder ladies stocking factory’ in 1936, which also produced parachutes during The Second World War. The company built an open air swimming pool, tennis court and gardens outside the building . Today the building is still intact and is a Tesco Extra. Tesco Extra’s car park is where the swimming pool, tennis court and gardens were, right outside the Bonder building.
There are also more modern sights to see and visit in Baldock. The towns is also known for its restaurants and The Weston Hills. Baldocks main restaurants are
FISH ‘N’ CHICK’N
Fish ‘n’ chick’n serves dinner and lunch, fast foods and sea foods well known for being child and family friendly.
This is an Italian, Asian, Balti and Bangla cusine, serving dinner and lunch. In the middle of the town centre. As well as eating in, the restaurant also has it’s bar and take away’s.
THE WESTON HILLS
The new and recently resurfaced pathways of The Weston Hills reach 1.25 km. it is full of nature and woodland popular for all ages, including walking dogs. The Weston Hills have also been used to shoot Camping scenes of Harry Potter ‘The Deathly Hallows’ film.