Home » News » Middle East » Injured Britons Flown Home From Tunisia by RAF

Injured Britons Flown Home From Tunisia by RAF

Four British tourists who were injured in last weeks beach attack have been flown home by the RAF. 

18 British citizens have so far been confirmed killed, and it is feared that the number may rise to over 30. The government have said that all those who were hurt in the attack near Sousse on Friday will be brought home in the coming hours.

A team of consular staff are currently in Tunisia assisting victims and their families.

Several people have been arrested by Tunisian authorities on suspicion of assisting the gunman, who had links to the terror group ISIL.

The four injured Britons returned to the UK on a specially modified RAF C17 transport plane with medics experienced at bringing injured service personnel back from operations overseas on board.

 

One patient was taken off the plane at Birmingham before the plane continued onto Brize Norton.

Professor Sir Keith Porter, a senior surgeon at Queen Elizabeth Hospital, said: “I can say at this stage that the patient has life-changing and life-threatening injuries. We hope to release more information about the patient later.”

The MoD said it was working with NHS England to arrange for each patient to reach the “best hospital in their area for their needs”.

By Fiona Carty

Share this article

share we chat more

About Fiona Carty

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

Skip to toolbar