The death toll has risen to 129 after a series of coordinated attacks across the French capital on Friday.
Gunmen opened fire at two restaurants the capital’s 10th district, the Petit Cambodge and Le Carillon, causing multiple fatalities. A BBC reporter on the scene said that at least 10 people lay on the street outside, killed or seriously injured. The shooter in the Cambodge attack later fled.
Two further attacks occurred at Belle Equipe bar and Les Halles, a shopping mall; but the most significant carnage began at the city’s Bataclan Theatre where Gunmen opened fire during a concert by The Eagles of Death Metal, an American rock group.
“It looked like a battlefield, there was blood everywhere, there were bodies everywhere. I was at the far side of the hall when shooting began. There seemed to be at least two gunmen. They shot from the balcony”, said Marc Coupris, who was inside the venue.
Over 1000 were taken hostage before a police raid that left three attackers dead. 87 hostages were killed.
A series of three explosions at a third location near the Stade de France killed at least 3.
The French President, Francois Hollande, who was attending a Football match at the nearby stadium, was moved to safety. He later declared a state of emergency, closing the country’s boarders and deploying the military across the city.
Shortly after the attacks began Parisians began using the hashtag #porteouverte (open door) to direct their fellow citizens to safety and taxi drivers turned their metres off. As the killing came to an end, hundreds of locals turned up to donate blood.
The world has seen an outpouring of grief, sympathy, and support, on an almost unprecedented scale, with cities across the world raising French flags and displaying French colours.
So far seven suspects have been taken into custody. The arrests were made by the Belgian police in the Molenbeek, a working-class section of Brussels. The area has become a notorious hotbed for extremists, with locals implicated in several terrorist attacks in recent years. The Belgian Minister of Home Affairs has said he fears his country has lost some control in that section of the capital.
An arrest warrant has been issued for an eighth man, Abdeslam Salah, also thought to be involved in the attacks.